Become a Volunteer
A Work Of Heart
Thank you for considering volunteer opportunities with FSS. Without the helping hands and caring hearts of our volunteers, we wouldn’t be able to provide many of the programs that enrich the lives of older adults. Our volunteers really do make a meaningful difference. Are you interested in joining the FSS volunteer family and giving back to your community? We’d love to have you on our team. Please contact us at 770-461-0813 or email@example.com to connect with us.
“I was looking for more ways to get involved and give back to my community when I stumbled upon Fayette Senior Services! I decided to reach out and was amazed at the opportunities available. Deciding on which area to volunteer was a challenge, but knowing I’m a part of this family has not only made a difference in my life, but I know I’m also making a difference in the lives of those I’m serving!”
– FSS Volunteer
We Want You To Enjoy A Positive Experience, So We Will Make Every Effort To Match You With An Activity That Will Be Rewarding For You And Beneficial To The Seniors We Serve
The first step toward volunteering is to complete the application form. Access the link to submit your application online, print and bring the application to the center, drop it in the mail, or stop by and fill one out at either of our locations. Once received, your application will be reviewed, a background check/driver’s license check will be completed, and we will contact you to schedule an orientation.
Before beginning your volunteer service, you will be asked to:
- Complete the volunteer application
- Complete a background check and driver’s record check
- Provide two personal references
- Complete a training program for your choice of service
Available Volunteer Opportunities
- Front Desk Receptionist for Fayetteville or Peachtree City – Our reception area is one busy place! You will play an important role by providing administrative support to our member services team. Customer service is our top priority as we welcome new and current members and assist them with class and event registration.
- Fitness Center Assistant – Help us maintain a friendly, clean and safe environment and provide instruction for our fitness equipment. Fitness center volunteers will receive CPR Certification.
- Computer Instructors – Instruct classes on Word, Windows, exploring the Internet, and more.
- Café Assistant – Welcome our guests and members for lunch and offer hospitality to all. Assist our wonderful kitchen staff with food service duties which include serving from the food line, refreshing beverage stations, assisting guests and members with their trays, and cleaning up.
- Meals On Wheels Driver – Deliver nutritious meals to homebound seniors throughout Fayette County. Drivers can choose a regular weekly route or choose to be a substitute driver to be called on as needed.
- STARs Program Assistant – STARs (Seniors Together After Retirement) spend the majority of their days together at the Life Enrichment Center, making crafts, playing games, eating together, and having a great time. You’ll have a helping hand in the activities and assisting with their day.
- Therapeutic Garden – If you have a green thumb, this is the place for you!Help tend the beautiful garden on the grounds of FSS.
- Special Events Assistant – Help with special events. Provide assistance with event coordination, set-up, decorating, and clean-up.
- Tool Team Member – Help perform minor, routine home maintenance tasks and repairs to help ensure the safety of individuals in their homes.
Benefits of Volunteering
Give back to your community and enjoy making new friendships!
Center volunteers have many perks while volunteering:
- Free center membership ($30 value for in-county residents and $90 value for out-of-county residents) with 75 hours of annual service
- Fitness Center volunteers receive a free fitness center membership
- Café and STARs Assistants receive a free meal in the café on the days they volunteer
- Free CPR and AED training for Fitness Center and STARs volunteers
- Monthly Volunteer Spotlights in the Enrichment Newsletter
- Quarterly Volunteer Appreciation socials
Volunteering is a work of ‘heart’ and the volunteers at FSS are full of just that!
Cat Gray: A Gray-tful Servant
We believe that a love for seniors is something that every volunteer with Fayette Senior Services embodies. Even more than that, many of our volunteers have a unique awareness of what goes on around them, and a desire to help in areas needed. That need and desire to go above and beyond for the people in our community is a trait that is clearly displayed by Meals on Wheels volunteer Cat Gray. She continually goes the extra mile for all of the clients she delivers to and makes each person feel special, seen, and heard.
Cat grew up in Madison, Georgia. Her father worked for the Department of Natural Resources as a forester and her mother taught school until Cat was born. Cat has two younger sisters that she loved spending her time playing with as a child. They lived on a farm and enjoyed horsing around…quite literally. The farm was full of horses, sheep, rabbits, cats, dogs, and peacocks! Spending time on the farm were some of Cat’s fondest memories of her childhood.
She graduated from Morgan County High School. To say that working with seniors is a passion for Cat is an understatement! Right after graduating from high school, she worked as a certified nursing assistant in a nursing home. This was a job that she absolutely loved and led her to pursue her education in geriatrics. She completed her undergraduate degree at Georgia College and State University and earned her Masters of Geriatric Health from A.T. Still University. Cat has spent her career working as a geriatric social worker and has worked in nursing homes for years.
In 2007, Cat met her husband, Gibson, on eHarmony. A year later, the two were married. Together they have two children; their son, Asa, is 10 and their daughter, Vera, is 7. Although Cat volunteers year-round, during the summer months, volunteering with Meals on Wheels is a family affair! Asa and Vera love to go out on routes with their mom and meet all of the clients she talks about all year long. Gibson even joins in on the fun when he isn’t working! They love spending time together as a family and delivering Meals on Wheels is the perfect way to do so!
Cat is currently a stay-at-home mom and was looking for a way to give back to the community. It wasn’t a hard decision for her to seek out a place that serves seniors when choosing where to volunteer. When she decided to volunteer with FSS, she shared, “I love working with the geriatric population. It brings me so much joy to give back to this community!” She has built a strong relationship with each of the clients she delivers to. She loves getting to spend time with each person, chatting and making them smile every time she visits. It is a rare find to have a volunteer like Cat, but we are so lucky to have an organization full of people like her! Her heart for others and seniors specifically is the cherry on top of a great volunteer! Cat goes above and beyond for everyone that she comes in contact with, whether that is a client that she delivers to or anyone that she meets at the center along the way!