Become a Volunteer
A Work Of Heart
Thank you for considering volunteer opportunities with FSS. Without the helping hands and caring hearts of our volunteers, we wouldn’t be able to provide many of the programs that enrich the lives of older adults. Our volunteers really do make a meaningful difference. Are you interested in joining the FSS volunteer family and giving back to your community? We’d love to have you on our team. Please contact us at 770-461-0813 or email@example.com to connect with us.
“I was looking for more ways to get involved and give back to my community when I stumbled upon Fayette Senior Services! I decided to reach out and was amazed at the opportunities available. Deciding on which area to volunteer was a challenge, but knowing I’m a part of this family has not only made a difference in my life, but I know I’m also making a difference in the lives of those I’m serving!”
– FSS Volunteer
We Want You To Enjoy A Positive Experience, So We Will Make Every Effort To Match You With An Activity That Will Be Rewarding For You And Beneficial To The Seniors We Serve
The first step toward volunteering is to complete the application form. Access the link to submit your application online, print and bring the application to the center, drop it in the mail, or stop by and fill one out at either of our locations. Once received, your application will be reviewed, a background check/driver’s license check will be completed, and we will contact you to schedule an orientation.
Before beginning your volunteer service, you will be asked to:
- Complete the volunteer application
- Complete a background check and driver’s record check
- Provide two personal references
- Complete a training program for your choice of service
Available Volunteer Opportunities
- Front Desk Receptionist for Fayetteville or Peachtree City – Our reception area is one busy place! You will play an important role by providing administrative support to our member services team. Customer service is our top priority as we welcome new and current members and assist them with class and event registration.
- Fitness Center Assistant – Help us maintain a friendly, clean and safe environment and provide instruction for our fitness equipment. Fitness center volunteers will receive CPR Certification.
- Computer Instructors – Instruct classes on Word, Windows, exploring the Internet, and more.
- Café Assistant – Welcome our guests and members for lunch and offer hospitality to all. Assist our wonderful kitchen staff with food service duties which include serving from the food line, refreshing beverage stations, assisting guests and members with their trays, and cleaning up.
- Meals On Wheels Driver – Deliver nutritious meals to homebound seniors throughout Fayette County. Drivers can choose a regular weekly route or choose to be a substitute driver to be called on as needed.
- STARs Program Assistant – STARs (Seniors Together After Retirement) spend the majority of their days together at the Life Enrichment Center, making crafts, playing games, eating together, and having a great time. You’ll have a helping hand in the activities and assisting with their day.
- Therapeutic Garden – If you have a green thumb, this is the place for you!Help tend the beautiful garden on the grounds of FSS.
- Special Events Assistant – Help with special events. Provide assistance with event coordination, set-up, decorating, and clean-up.
- Tool Team Member – Help perform minor, routine home maintenance tasks and repairs to help ensure the safety of individuals in their homes.
Benefits of Volunteering
Give back to your community and enjoy making new friendships!
Center volunteers have many perks while volunteering:
- Free center membership ($30 value for in-county residents and $90 value for out-of-county residents) with 75 hours of annual service
- Fitness Center volunteers receive a free fitness center membership
- Café and STARs Assistants receive a free meal in the café on the days they volunteer
- Free CPR and AED training for Fitness Center and STARs volunteers
- Monthly Volunteer Spotlights in the Enrichment Newsletter
- Quarterly Volunteer Appreciation socials
Volunteering is a work of ‘heart’ and the volunteers at FSS are full of just that!
Luck of the Draw
It was a twist of fate that brought to us our Peachtree City front desk volunteer, Trish Gorland. Trish was originally mistaken for someone else who had inquired about becoming a volunteer. When she was contacted by the volunteer coordinator, she hadn’t yet considered volunteering, but decided on the spur of the moment to take a chance and try it out. We’re so glad she took the opportunity to be an important part of what makes FSS tick! It’s been great to have such a helpful, light-hearted, professional woman such as Trish at our front desk. She greets everyone with kindness and is so helpful and friendly to all.
Trish attended Auburn University and then moved to North Carolina to attend Belmont Abbey College. After graduation, she moved to New York and began working as a college recruiter. This was her first job after graduating from college, and her responsibilities included recruiting future students from all the high schools on Long Island. She called North Port, New York her home for four years before returning to Montgomery to resume her post graduate studies at Auburn University’s Montgomery campus. At that time, she took a job at a publishing company as an editor of a cookbook. Later, Trish decided to get her realtor’s license. That decision led Trish to a career as a Real Estate Broker for thirteen years. It was at that point, Trish decided once again to take her career in a different direction. Her next move was to go from Real Estate Agent to Travel Agent. Through this career change, she enjoyed helping others realize their travel dreams, all the while indulging in a few of her own. Of all the amazing places she has been to, Trish will tell you Budapest is the most beautiful city she has ever visited. To this day, her love for travel has not diminished one bit. In fact, this spring, she’s looking forward to adding another travel adventure to her memory book.
Trish has been married for 28 years to her husband Ron. They married after a four-year courtship and are the parents of one daughter. Not long after their daughter, Sky, was born, they moved to Miami and Trish retired to become a full-time mom. She and her family relocated to Peachtree City about six years ago and have called it home since. It was around that time, Trish discovered Fayette Senior Services.
One of the reasons volunteering appealed to Trish when she was presented with the opportunity was the desire for more social interaction. She finds great fulfillment seeing members come in, interacting with others while learning something new, or just having fun. She can’t help but notice members always seem to leave feeling better than when they arrived. Trish would tell anyone interested in volunteering to “always remember what a positive impact you can have on another person’s day. Never underestimate the value of a smile and a kind word.” Trish’s sunny personality has been evident to all who come in contact with her, and it is a pleasure to have her as one of our valued team of volunteers.